Friday, August 23, 2013

The Knife Are Shaking The Habitual Way

Admittedly, I discovered this artist backwards - I first found Fever Ray, which led me to find The Knife. Also, admittedly, I didn't appreciate The Knife the first time I listened, it took me months to come around to them. However, I've finally found the love for them!

I know this album was released in April, but like I say, it's been a while since I've been able to post, so listening and reviewing them has been out of the question. So, here I am!


I had a mixed opinion on this album. It has been split into two CDs, which virtually contrast each other. CD 1 has a strange take on their style, but overall is generally enjoyable. 'A Tooth For An Eye' is the opening track, and entirely lovable! It is definitely the stand-out track on the first side, possible the album all together.

CD 2, however, goes into a weird and wonderful world of the unknown. (I'm not kidding, you have to listen to understand.) The music on the second side mainly involves roughly 10 minute tracks of sounds rather than actual musical material, which is where my mixed views come from. 'Fracking Fluid Injection' was probably the strangest one - almost entirely sound effects and wailing. It was at this point I wasn't too sure what I thought, until the final track, 'Ready To Lose', changed my mind completely. It was like falling out of love and being drawn back in again!

Overall, there were times that I wish they would have created an album much like their 2006 release 'Silent Shout', as this sadly isn't as easy to listen to. However, I do feel that it will be a grower, much like their (and Fever Ray's) music altogether, which does take a while to appreciate. There is definitely still hope in the album, even if it is just the tracks that are easy to love.

No comments:

Post a Comment