Sunday, September 30, 2012

¡UNO! ¿Bueno?

25 years after forming, Green Day have released yet another album for the world of punk to worship. However, is it any good you ask?


It's certainly a bit different. Opening track 'Nuclear Family' makes you believe that the CD is going to be another classic punk album with repetition of chords and songs. However, by the time you reach 'Kill The DJ', you realise you're wrong. The sound Green Day have here completely contrasts with the rest! The beginning sounds like they've gone pop, and who the hell wants that?!

Guess what? Wrong again. No where near pop (phew!). The punk style returns with a twist to, I feel, convey the meaning of the song. Cleaver? I think so!

UNO also brings angst. (Yes, welcome back Green Day! Vengeance is awesome!) 'Let Yourself Go' is the classic example. Happy tune, angry lyrics. Beautifully done!

It must be said, though, closing track 'Oh Love' is my favourite. (Thank God it's the single!!) I love Billie Joe's voice in it, I love the riffs, I love the chords, I love the words, I love the tone, I love the sound. Flawless!!

So yes, Green Day have done it again. However, you can't help but feel like the old Green Day is missing from this one... Of course, the album is awesome, but nothing will ever compare to Dookie or the multi award-winning American Idiot. But still, my love for this band is still strong and won't die out any time soon. With such a huge influence on my life, I can't say they have an album I don't like. Billie Joe, thank you, you have done it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment