Sunday, July 27, 2014

The Glitch Mob - Love, Death, Immortality

So, here it is - The Glitch Mob's 'Love, Death, Immortality'. It's been a wait, but here we are at last! (And I'm gonna apologize for my lateness, but I never break promises!!!)

The first thing I must say is this; It certainly starts on a more lively note than 2010's 'Drink The Sea' - far more immediacy. Although I did love 'Animus Vox' as an opening track, opening 'Mind of a Beast' in this album puts the grinding bass in context for the album. One word? Flawless!

The thing I think I most love about The Glitch Mob is their capability to contrast moods within the electronic genre, something extremely hard to come by. This is something they never fail to do, and is evident throughout the album, and within particular tracks too, in fact! The first evident example of this is the movement from track two to three - 'Our Demons (ft. Aja Volkman)' to 'Skullclub'. The powerful impact 'Our Demons' has is beautifully undermined by 'Skullclub' initially, which turns to something I can only describe as an easy dance song (sorry for the over-cliche!), but one that doesn't hurt the ears!

I think my favourite track on the album has to be 'Becoming Harmonious (ft. Metal Mother)', purely because of its haunting vibes along with the strangely calming, maybe even Asian, element that the other tracks don't have. They're not all crash-bang (take 'Beauty of the Unhidden Heart (ft. Sister Crayon)' for an example), I know this, but somehow this one stands out to me, kinda surprised me even! It also backs up my argument of contrast within tracks - listen and see for yourself!

So, with other beauties on 'Love, Death, Immortality', including my previously reviewed track 'Can't Kill Us', 'Carry the Sun' and 'Fly By Night Only (ft. Yaarrohs)', this record is a definite must to listen to. I think these guys can make it big, so let's hope my prediction comes true!


For someone who's never got on with electronic music, The Glitch Mob have (miraculously) succeeded to stand out from the rest. Their additions of orchestral elements and the odd voice are two significant contributing factors, but they are only two of them - I don't know what they do to make every one of their songs different from the rest, but I hope they carry on! Congrats guys, keep it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment