Sunday, December 01, 2013

Avenged Sevenfold Rock Manchester!

Last night, my life was made. All I've wanted to do for as long as I've known Avenged Sevenfold is see them live. I've told people I will go to the lengths of seeing them in America if I have to.

Well, I didn't. It feels like just yesterday when I was up one night in July, looking on the internet to see if the band had a tour. To my excitement, they did; playing in Manchester on a Saturday. SORTED!

Christmas came early. The show was absolutely phenomenal - and that's not me being biased!

The supporting acts were Avatar and Five Finger Death Punch. Admittedly, we got to the arena just as Avatar were finishing, which was a bit of a shame, but they did have a very good sound, and were generally a good live band.

Following were Five Finger Death Punch. I've had a good idea of their music, and really, really enjoy it, so to see these guys was a pleasant surprise. They were really enjoyable! They got the crowd going, and they were favoured by the audience. Their sound was fantastic, and the interaction was brilliant - a good start to a fantastic evening!

Then, it was what we were all waiting for - the lights went out, Avenged Sevenfold took to the stage, huge deathbat, pyrotechnics, and incredible opening song 'Shepherd of Fire'. I was sat at the back and could  feel the heat! And then there were the goosebumps - amazing start to the set!


Immediately, they went back in time to 'Critical Acclaim', then back to the present, 'Hail to the King'. Both... Amazing.

A little while after, we had a powerful performance of 'Fiction'... All I can say is, wow. The lyrics were beautiful and haunting as ever, the lighting effects were well suited, then something happened that I wasn't expecting at all... When the Rev's lyric came, they played it over the speaker, and a spotlight was shone on a blank space. I was left cold, and when the spotlight shone on M. Shadows, that feeling was still left with me. Even though there were a  few songs I was surprised they didn't play, this made up for every single one. It was the one that stuck out to me, without a doubt.

Overall, they played a fantastic selection of the Avenged catalogue. 'Afterlife', 'Bat Country', 'Nightmare', to name but a few.

Ever since I became an A7X fan, I've said, "If I were to see Chapter Four live, my life would be complete." Although, I knew all too well that wouldn't happen - it's part of their really old repertoire, I would be too lucky...

Luck came through. "Fuck it, let's play Chapter Four," said M. Well, what can I say? It. Was. Amazing.

'Waking the Fallen' has always been my favourite album, and, inevitably, the encore also featured 'Unholy Confessions'. This is what I saved my energy for - the last song of the night! What a way to end a phenomenal evening.

So, overall, Avenged Sevenfold exceeded my expectations. This was easily the best concert I've ever seen, and I wouldn't think twice about seeing these guys again. Arin Ilejay, the band's new drummer, was welcomed with open arms, Synyster, traditionally, did an incredible solo, M. Shadow's voice was on top form - I can't fault it! I think about three notes were missed, and that's it!

Well done guys, you really have done yourselves proud!

No comments:

Post a Comment